Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Nice

So, my life has been pretty crazy these last few weeks.  I've been working more than normal, and I spent a weekend away, as well as caught up on some housework, so it's been productive, though my blog has been neglected.

It seems like the overarching theme I can think of for that time is about the word "nice".  It kind of amazes me how different its meanings can be. 

For instance, those who know me well know that I struggle with being "nice" to some people, especially those who I feel have wronged or mistreated me.  Nice, in that sense, is kind, Christlike.  Not something easy...something to work toward.

Last weekend, I spent some time with a new friend from work.  It was nice in a totally different kind of way...a relaxed, comfortable, unforced kind of way.  Nice can be that too, I guess.

Nice can mean fine, like when a person wants "nice things."  Nice can mean not rude, like when you don't have anything nice to say so you don't say anything at all.  Nice can mean pleasurable, or friendly, or refined.  It just amazes me how broad the word really is.

And for me, over the last 2 weeks, "nice" has meant all of these things in one way or another.  Nothing is really too outstanding, but it's all been nice.

Additionally, I have realized yet another truth about myself that requires that I have grace for me: I'm not nearly as sure or content as I think I am.  Just the second I become comfortable and content, something comes along that has me wanting something different.  And the fact of the matter is that sometimes, I will make the wrong choice.  Today, I'm trying to accept that.  Today, I'm learning to have grace for both the niceties in my life, as well as for my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment