Monday, January 31, 2011

Laughing at Life

Do you know anyone who lives a life that seems like it can only be a movie script?  I've known people like that before - those who have amazing breaks in their career, inspiring success despite obstacles, storybook romances, or comedic flair fit for a box office hit.  I've never considered myself one of those people; that is, until today. 

My movie script life is really just a role that could be in any movie - the person who experiences coincidences that absolutely CAN'T be coincidences...can they?

For instance, and this is just one of many.  My mediocre date on Saturday = the nephew of one of the owner's of the company that I work at.  Love that.  I especially love that the date was less than stellar; if it was great, it might be "kismet".  As it is, it's one of those coincidences.  Also, getting hit by a deer...while running.  Literally - ask me about it; I'll tell you about it some other time.

So anyway, this particular coincidence, and these coincidences in general, really, have me thinking.  I'm not exactly a stranger to hard knocks or bad news, and because of this, or maybe in spite of this, I think that a life without laughter is a life that I'm not particularly interested in living.  Despite the awkwardness of this revelation today, it was my greatest laugh all day.  In part at the irony, and also, in part, because what other response could be fitting?  Really, what else is there to do but laugh?

I hope that I can remember that as I go through my life, that I can take the joy I currently take from my nephew's baby giggles.  Maybe I can even learn to giggle like him - with little reason but the sheer joy of it.

Laughing is food for the soul and I'm glad that my life (and I'm sure yours) certainly provides enough moments to partake in a balanced diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment